Sunday, September 29, 2013

Aloha Lake Circumnavigation and Ridge Traverse: Desolation Wilderness


I finished up my month in Denver with the Presbyterian/St. Luke's podiatric residency program. I had a great month. The attendings were very well read and talented, the residents worked hard and seemed to be well trained and Denver has its perks. I had my final presentation in front of the attending and residents on Thursday night, a 7am surgery on Friday and I hit the road. My presentation was on a small ligament in the foot that is considered by some to be a major contributor to flatfoot when it fails. Standing up in front of a bunch of residents and seasoned doctors presenting is very intimidating but I feel it went well and I was easily able to answer all of their questions in an intelligent manner. Glad to have that one behind me.

Leaving Denver on the I-70. 
As per the norm I hoped to get some type of an adventure in to break up my 20hr trip back to Oakland and make the most of my cross country travels. I had a few things in mind but Friday morning in Denver was overcast and there was rain in the forecast for the entire range meaning that running up on a 14,000ft peak probably wasn't a great idea. As I drove across the I-70 through the Rockies there was low visibility, snow and rain. I made the right call.

Sunset over the Great Salt Lake.
I made it to Utah around 5pm and plan B was to try to run up either Nebo or aross the Timpanogos ridge-line. This plan also was scrapped because there appeared to be a considerable amount of snow on the top 1/3 of the range.  I spent the next hour in McDonalds on the internet working out my options.

I ended up stumbling across a guy's trip report entitled Desolation Seven Summits which inspired plan C. I pushed on through Nevada and ended up meeting with my longtime buddy and fellow podiatry student Garrett Child at a Nevada truck-stop around midnight. It was great to catch up. I continued on and ended up throwing down at some random pull off and sleeping under the stars. I was glad to have my down coat and an extra sleeping bag.


The Desolation Wilderness is just south of Lake Tahoe and is a place that I have been wanting to check out. I was at the Ralston Peak trail-head around 11:00am. After getting some beta from a nice ranger lady who thought I was a bit nuts from the route I was suggesting I was on my way. The first mile and a half I ran along Highway 50 until I bailed off on an unofficial trail up Rock Canyon that went straight up for about 4 miles and 4,100ft to the top of Pyramid Peak (9,985ft), the highest point in the Desolation Wilderness. I reached the summit in about 1:45. The view was magnificent. I could see the entirety of Aloha Lake which is a discontinuous body of water with granite islands scattered throughout  surrounded by stunning peaks.

Summit of Pyramid Peak.
After taking a quick photo and slamming half a PB&J I continued on down the ridge-line. There was some traces of snow from a previous storm but I was able to avoid it and stay on the rocks to avoid getting ice on my shoes which could be devastating while jumping from rock to rock down the steep ridge. I continued on the ridge scrambling up and down for the next 1.5hrs. It was gorgeous. I topped out on Mt. Agassiz (9,967ft) and Mt. Price (9,975ft) before dropping down Mosquito Pass to catch the trail which I reached at about mile 11. My legs and feet were hurting a bit but I fell into the rhythm of a slow jog. The single track was beautiful and I only saw a few people backpacking along with their huge multi-day packs. Over the next 9 miles I took a few turns which required me to bushwack around a bit looking for the correct trail. Not being on a trail when you think you should be is one of the most demoralizing occurrences that can happen when you are fatigued and are ready to be done with your adventure. Even though I was exhausted the views were still breathtaking coming up Ralston Peak. From there I could see the entire valley containing Aloha Lake under the afternoon sun. As I made the decent down Ralston back to my car I tried to maintain a jog but it was more like a quick stumble down the steep trail. I found the adventure that I was looking for and reached the car sufficiently exhausted and fulfilled.

Looking down from Pyramid at the ridge-line yet to be traveled. 
View back up at Pyramid Peak at the ridge I came down. 
The ridge-line towards Mt. Agassiz and Mt. Price. 
Looking down at Mosquito Pass from Mt. Price.


The banks of Aloha Lake looking at the previously traveled ridge, Pyramid on the left. 

Alpine single track.

View back at Lake Aloha from Mt. Ralston with Lake of the Woods in the foreground. 
I took a few minutes to rest before I started my 3.5hr drive back to Oakland to spend the next month with Kimber. Being away from your wife is not awesome but is all for the greater good.

Elevation graph from my GPS watch.

Stats
Total Distance: 19.3miles
Total Time: 7hrs 36min
Total Elevation Gain: 6713ft



2 comments:

  1. cool. never heard of this area. looks pretty cool. if the snow hasn't fallen too much we may have to reattempt the WURL when you get here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome. I would say pray for no snow but I am not gonna because I would rather ski the WURL.

    ReplyDelete