Friday, October 25, 2013

NorCal Trinity Alps: 4 Lakes Loop


Even though I recently learned that Christopher Columbus did many not so awesome things (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day) and that his story has been whitewashed to the max like too many stories I have been taught in my life (others of which I have not based my knowledge on blog posts like I did here, but on credible primary sources), Kimber and I decided to celebrate Columbus Day by exploring the mountains of northern California.

We decided to hit the road Sunday morning early as Kimber had spent Saturday shooting a wedding in San Francisco and didn't get home until around 11pm. We headed to the Trinity Alps, 5 hours north of the Bay Area. The Trinity Alps are a beautiful mountain range to the northwest of Redding, CA and are a bit of a hidden gem. We needed a trip to get away from the busy city and enjoy nature and some time alone....and I planned the trip around a sweet run!



Kimber started shaking her head when we were driving into what appeared to be a deserted wilderness because I have this tendency of over planning adventures and she is well aware of it. We made it to the trail head where we luckily found a random camping spot about a half mile up the dirt road and pitched camp, car camping style (huge air mattress, camp chairs, firewood, table, cabin tent...etc). We spent the afternoon just basking in the woods wrapped in sleeping bags, drinking hot cocoa, reading thought stimulating books and discussing life. It was nice. We even wrapped up the night with a freaking old (like black and white old) Halloween movie on the laptop while sitting next to the campfire.



The  next morning I got up and ran the 4 Lakes Loop. It is a loop in the heart of the alpine wilderness that goes around Siligo Peak (8162ft) and in the process passes by 4 beautiful lakes. The loop is accessed by 6 mile, 4,100ft climb up Long's Canyon, making the round trip approximately 18 miles.

Up Long's Canyon.

Looking down Long's Canyon



The Long's Canyon climb consisted of dispersed forest that opened up into multiple meadows surrounded by towering red and granite peaks. The start of the loop is at Deer Creek Pass which gives you an awesome view before you drop down toward Deer Lake followed by steep switch backs up the NE face of Mt. Siligo.  At the saddle I had the option of climbing another 350ft to the top of Silgo but decided to pass because I had slept in a bit longer than I had planned and needed to get back. From the saddle I traversed around the back side of Siligo able to view Diamond Lake and then up another saddle and down into Luello Lake. Somewhere around there is where my GPS watch died. I think I slept with it running because it was only at 22% when I awoke. Bummer! The climb back up from Luello to Deer Creek pass was significant and I took it at a quick hike. I then  ran down Long's and eventually met up with Kimber who had started up the canyon much later and we finished running back down to the trail-head together. It was a gorgeous run.

Looking down at Deer Lake from Deer Creek Pass.
I always debate to myself if trips like this are worth it because we drive for so long and only get about 24hrs there. I never regret them when they are over so I think I am making the right decision to go.




Mt. Siligo from Deer Lake



Stats:
Total distance: approx 18 miles
Total elevation gain: approx 5,800ft
Total time: approx 5hrs.




1 comment:

  1. oh the long debated issue of us the weekend warriors. how far is reasonable to drive for one day of activities? hence the pitches/hours driven rule. I think its needs to be 2:1 ratio for miles run. Ultimately it depends on your own opinion and the opinions of your friends. I approve, so you're good.

    ReplyDelete