Sunday, September 28, 2014

Olympic National Park: 7 Lakes Basin Loop

Thinking that it might be my last chance to get to the hills for awhile do to the infamous rains coming and an upcoming stint of repeated weekend call, I decided to pull a quick solo trip to Olympic National Park. Kimber was on her bazillianth trip back to California shooting a wedding, so I was rolling solo. I found a beautiful multi-day backpacking loop with high ratings online called "7 Lakes Loop" and hit the road Friday night.

View of Olympic NP from Hurricane Ridge at sunset. 
I rolled into Port Angeles around 11pm exhausted. I had been up that morning since 4:45am in order to get Kimber at the airport before arriving at the hospital for our pre-surgery meeting. The guy at the gas station directed me to a small pullout just outside of town that I could "probably" sack-out at. I got settled and was out cold under the stars next to my car. I awoke around 12:30am to a police officer explaining that I wasn't allowed to sleep there. I was in that deep kind of sleep that leaves you  barely knowing where you are when you awake and your head ringing. After doing my best to answer the cops questions while he flashed his million lumen flashlight in my confused face, he recommended that I go the "Wally World" parking lot, but then commented that if I didn't feel like it was safe for me to drive then "it is what it is", and left. I took that as permission to stay and rolled over.

Lake Crescent.
Completed the loop clockwise. 
Heart Lake.
The next morning I drove along the north side of the park past Lake Crescent which was amazing with the morning sun and surrounding steep mountains. I headed up to the trail-head near the Sol Duc Hot Springs, geared up and hit the trail. The first section of the run was about 8 miles of steady climbing (3100ft) that started in thick pines and opened up at the top to a small lake and eventually to the ridge-line where I was rewarded with a beautiful view of Mt. Olympus. It was breathtaking!

Headed down toward Cat Basin. 
Mt. Olympus from High Divide. 

Trucking up High Divide with a backpacker in the background. 
At the top I made the decision to add a few miles be checking out Cat Basin which dropped me down to another lake and gave me some more epic views of Olympus. Half way down I decided that it wasn't worth it and turned around. I climbed up the High Divide ridge-line running past "7 Lakes Basin" which was also gorgeous, and eventually topped out on Bogacheil Peak(5475ft). I then dropped back down, following miles of tasty single track surrounded by views of the basin and surrounding area and eventually back to the trail head. The trail was pretty busy most of the way with backpackers further out and multiple day hikers closer to the trail-head. Beautiful trail.

Seven Lakes Basin. 

Awesome single track. 


I felt pretty good this run. During the run I pounded a PB&J and Nutella sandwich as well as a few granola bars.

After reaching the car I headed back down to Crescent Lake to a nice day picnic area that was empty. I jumped into the lake to clean off and took a nap for a few hours after trying to study some podiatry material and eating some lentil soup (just what I found in the cupboard). That evening I drove up to Hurricane Ridge and ate my dinner (a can of chicken and another of pineapple). The views were pristine with the fall colors beginning to show! I used my map to try to figure out the best way to access some of the peaks looming in the distance for future adventures. I debated on sticking around and running something the next day but my comfortable bed, morning bacon and coffee was calling my name. I made the 3 hour drive home and called it an awesome trip. Yeah for Washington!

Mt Olympus from Hurricane Ridge while eating my dinner at sunset. 
Stats (9/20/14)
Distance: Approx 22 miles
Time: 5 hrs 15min
Elevation climbed: Approx 4500ft


1 comment:

  1. way sick singletrack! holy crap, guess i need to get up there. Sure beats doing Superior for the 9th time. Always glad to hear the dirtbag sleeping run in with the cops are still alive. I'm afraid mine are coming to an end with the kido.

    ReplyDelete