Sunday, August 11, 2013

Vedauwoo Trip Number Two & Trek Home



We stopped at the 1.4 billion year old granite climbing playground of Vedauwoo as part of our trek back to Oakland after finishing up a month at the Denver Veterans Hospital podiatry program. Kimber flew back out from Oakland to spend the last week with me there, see the area, spend time with friends and drive home with me. We love Colorado! Much of the week was spent with Brody and Kiley Hatch who also joined us for out Vedauwoo pit stop, along with Salomon the dog.


We setup up camp and hiked from our campsite to do some climbing. Our objective was the 5.8 Satterfield's Crack. The climb has been recommended from friends who had done it. I took the lead with Kiley, Kimber and Salomon on cheer squad and Brody on the belay. I was able to do the entire climb in one pitch and could have used a few more larger cams but made do.



The first section was a bit awkward with two side by side cracks and a smooth face in a corner. I sewed it up tight to reduce anxiety of my cheer squad and to eliminate the chance of decking if I were to take a fall.



The second section was a widening crack that was encroaching on the off width status near the top. I was looking for a wider piece to place but had used them to stitch up the lower section. I kept my cool and ran it out a bit with no problems.



The final section included a smooth chimney that narrowed at the top and popped out onto a huge chock stone to belay from. This required some chicken winging and using my leg as a Big Bro cam to top out.



Brody followed me up showing his enjoyment with the occasional grunt and curse word. He topped out with a smile.






We spent the night around the campfire which we hadn't done in way to long. There is something about a campfire that just makes life awesome.


Emergency fireside wedge resection of an ingrown. They hurt so much worse in climbing shoes!



Saturday morning we set out to climb Oslund's Delight but found people just starting the route so ended up on Silver Surfer, a single pitch 5.9 crack. Our approach to the climb was about the least direct route possible. We just considered our inefficiency in getting to the climb as part of the learning process that occurs at any new area. Silver Surfer has two sections, the first an awkward (word used often in Vedauwoo)  chimney up to a chock-stone and into a diagonal hand crack. I took the lead with my usual cheering squad and made it look really hard so that Kimber would think that I was cooler. We set up a top rope and Brody had a lap. It was a great climb.






We had a quick lunch and departed ways. The 17hr journey back to Oakland was broken up by a birthday dinner for me in Salt Lake City with my parents and Amie and Matt and their family. It was a good stop and great to see them again. We ended up sleeping in the car somewhere past Elko Nevada. Coming back into the Bay Area was a breath of fresh air, literally the air quality is so fresh and cool! Nice to be home.





3 comments:

  1. You look hammered in the family shots. Not enough caffeine? Not to be a prick, as the spelling of "awkward" is indeed awkward, but nevertheless it should be spelled correctly.

    Is brody going for a samurai look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was super tired at dinner and I also ate to much of the complimentary cornbread. Thanks for the proof read, fixed it. Brody is a Samurai to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can confirm that I am in fact a samurai.

    ReplyDelete